Friday, November 25, 2011

Finally, time to breathe- Kayla

     As I'm sure you've noticed, it's been a considerably long time since I've posted.  This is due to the 12 hour days and ungodly pressure of being an actual, real-life adult.  Yes, things have been CRAZY busy, and to all of you who I have neglected to call in the past month or so, I'm sorry!  So, here I am, sitting in bed with the wonderful microfiber sheets that my mom so thoughtfully got for us (thank you, momma).  I think that this is the first time in two months that I've had time just to sit at home and completely veg out.  There is laundry going, and there are dishes to be done, but for the most part, I am a vegetable.
     School has been going well.  I really enjoyed my last class, which was an intro to pastry class.  I've taken a TON of pictures, so I'll sort through the best ones and put them on here for your viewing pleasure.


 Madeleine cookies

 Strausburger cookies with raspberry filling and chocolate deco.

 Practicing piping :)



 Pretty good for my first time writing in chocolate, no?

 Blueberry pie with lattice crust

 The BEST blueberry muffins I've ever had in my life.  Seriously, Berry Crocker is no comparison

 Chocolate eclairs

 Cream puffs with caramel halos

 The infamous creme brulee.  SO good.

Creme caramel, more commonly known as flan.  Not so good.

I've recently started a breads class, which is fun, but as much as I love bread, it has gotten a little repetitive.  Seriously, bread is pretty much all the same, with different frills (cinnamon, raisins, pumpkin).  It gets pretty old.  We are going to start laminated dough, though; puff pastry for croissants and danishes and the like, so that is going to be a good time.  We've made some really beautiful bread, but I lost my camera, so no more pictures :(  Although I love school, and I am learning a lot, I am very excited for the three week break I have coming around the bend.  
     On the job front, I am still employed, but looking for another job.  My current one has turned out to be less than ideal.  I suppose the job in itself isn't so bad, but it's not what was advertised to me.  I do not get to bake; if I do, it is very seldom and with no regularity.  Mostly because my boss can't seem to drag himself out of bed, or plan correctly, to get there so I can bake while he runs the counter.  He tells me that I will bake Thursdays and Friday, that he will be there by 10, so I can bake 10-1, but then comes strolling in at 12:30.  Keep in mind, I have to leave at 1 and there is no way I can run the counter, cook food, barista, AND bake all at the same time; I MUST have someone else there to run things while I do some baking.  It's a very long story involving the fact that Ross comes into work high, or not at all, or leaves early, or doesn't order things; this all culminates in the simple truth that I am far more responsible than my boss, which is unacceptable to me.  The chef I stage for has told me many times that she would hire me in a heart beat, but she doesn't have enough business to justify it, or afford it.  I love being there and the work is great, but there is a slight problem in that I don't get paid for being there.  Needness to say, my stage there is probably coming to an end as well.  At least I have a paying job, though, so I can't complain too much.  
     Nick pretty much summed up Thanksgiving, so no need to elaborate there.  I feel like we will have a little more free time to come.  I have weekends off now, and we don't have anyone coming into town for a while, so things should be a little less hectic.  We miss you all!

No comments:

Post a Comment